Today I'm gonna tell you all how I get in my zone to make my music. My go to DAW is FL Studio for making beats because of its wide variety of plug-ins and effects, not to mention its easy to maneuver and to operate. Usually, when I'm making a beat, it has to do with the mood of the day. If its rainy/cloudy, I might take a conscious approach, if its sunny i might take a uptempo, bright, dance approach, if it's night i'll take a dark approach. At the start of the process, I set my tempo, 130-175bpm for the sunny days, 100-130bmp for the nights, and 60-120bpm for the rainy/cloudy days. I always start off with the melody first because I'm really no good at making bass lines from scratch. From there I experiment with sounds until i find the right sound to fit the melody I played. I like to layer my melodies with at least 3-6 different sounds including the feel of the beat. The feel is usually a pad or something that can go in the background that won't really disrupt the vibe. Once thats taken care of i throw in the drum tracks. Kicks, High Hats, Snares, and a low frequency oscillator to side chain to the kick drum to create a 808. When the drums are done, melody is done, it's time to add effects and mix it so nothing peaks. When everything is done the finish project is worth feeling myself.
https://soundcloud.com/lo_b_jones/anyway-preview
Do you use any type of synthesizers or beat machines?
ReplyDeleteI have a mpc 4000 but i mainly use my Yamaha 88 key.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed how you put the information for your tempo varying on the moods that really understandable and relatable.
ReplyDeleteI will HAVE TO TRY THAT AND GET IN THE ZONE WITH FL STUDIOS
ReplyDeleteSo all the voices are synthesized? Ever think of recording the synthesized voices then mixing?
ReplyDeleteI have but with the equipment I currently possess and the set up of my space , this is as good as it gets.
ReplyDelete